Malta Golden Passport & Malta Golden Visa
Malta, one of the smallest island nations is nicely tucked between South of Sicily and North Africa. It not only is a European Union member state but also forms part of the Schengen Area.
Malta’s prime location in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea along with its picturesque views, rich cultural heritage and more than 300 days of sunshine draws people from all corners of the world to make it their forever home.
One must have come across terms like ‘Golden Passport’ or ‘Golden Visa’ while considering second/dual citizenship or residency and wondered what they actually mean.
Golden Passport and Golden Visa are terms which are normally linked to other countries’ Citizenship and/or residency programs. The official nomenclature for the relocation programs offered by Malta are ‘The Malta Individual Investor Program’ (MIIP) for the citizenship and ‘The Malta Residence and Visa Program’ (MRVP) for the residency.
We at Nexia BT thought to make it simpler and refer to the Maltese citizenship and residency programs as the Malta Golden Passport or Malta Golden Visa respectively and explain what it means and how it can open doors to EU citizenship & residency.
In this article, we will discuss:
- What are the Malta Golden Passport & Malta Golden Visa?
- Benefits of Malta Golden Passport and Malta Golden Visa;
- Malta Golden Passport Requirements and Eligibility;
- Malta Golden Visa Requirements and Eligibility;
- Malta Golden Passport (Malta Passport by Investment) Cost;
- Malta Golden Visa (Malta Residence and Visa Program) Cost;
- Why Choose Malta?
- Why Nexia BT as your Relocation Services Advisor?
What are the Malta Golden Passport & Malta Golden Visa?
- The Malta Golden Passport points to the Malta Individual Investor Program (Malta Citizenship by Investment) through which eligible individuals and families can acquire Maltese citizenship and relocate themselves and their business affairs to a European country.
- Whereas, the Malta Golden Visa points to the Malta Residence and Visa Program (Malta Residence by Investment) which gives an opportunity of Permanent Residence in Malta to Non-EU citizens along with free movement within the 26 Schengen countries in line with the allowable time frames under the Schengen Agreement.
It is important for us to state that both the terminologies, Malta Golden Passport & Malta Golden Visa are marketing references and not the actual official terms used for MIIP & MRVP.
Nexia BT is accredited to represent applicants under Residency and Citizenship programs. Additionally, Nexia BT is a Government appointed official concessionaire for the MRVP in the Middle East. Our dedicated team of experts can assist you at every step of the way.
Benefits of Malta Golden Passport and Malta Golden Visa
The Malta Golden Passport would grant,
- Business opportunities in one of the European Union’s fastest-growing economies;
- Citizenship of a well-respected, economically and politically stable EU country;
- Visa-free travel to 182 countries including the US, Canada and Australia;
- Right to own a second home in Malta;
- Family legacy protection by passing on citizenship to future generations. Even if they are born outside of Malta they can attain citizenship by descent;
- Possibilities to opt to live, work, study and set up business in all the 28 EU states along with Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein;
- Gain settling rights in the following European countries;
Eligibility may also be extended to your dependents including spouse or partners in a relationship, children and grandparents under specific terms.
Whereas, the Malta Golden Visa would grant,
- A Malta residence permit to the main applicant and their family;
- Visa-free travel within 26 Schengen countries;
SCHENGEN COUNTRIES Austria Hungary Portugal Czech Republic Iceland Slovakia Denmark Italy Slovenia Estonia Lithuania Spain Finland Luxembourg Sweden France Netherlands Switzerland Germany Norway Liechtenstein Greece Poland
- The right to reside, settle and stay indefinitely in Malta;
- The ability to apply for Long Term Residence status and naturalisation as a Maltese citizen after a certain period of residence in accordance with the citizenship laws of Malta;
- The possibility for the main applicant and their spouse/partner to add additional dependants not originally included in the initial application subject to an additional contribution and successful due diligence checks;
- The possibility for children of the main applicant and/or their spouse/partner who marry, to add their spouse/partner and any direct dependants subject to an additional contribution and successful due diligence checks;
- The possibility of applying for a work permit under a separate process; and
- The possibility of tax benefits under the Global Residence Program.
Our team of professionals can help you at every step in obtaining your Malta residency or citizenship.
Related: Discover Malta
Malta Golden Passport Requirements and Eligibility
Requirements - The Main applicant must
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Provide proof of established genuine links with Malta including residency over at least 12 months preceding the day of the issuance of the certificate of naturalisation;
- Commit to making a sizeable contribution to the National Development Social Fund;
- Commit to investing in qualifying securities; and
- Commit to holding a qualifying property.
Eligibility Criteria for Malta Golden Passport (MIIP)
Through this program, the government of Malta intends to attract ONLY individuals of the highest standards. Therefore, everyone eligible will be subject to strict due diligence scrutiny and are expected to:
- Have a clean criminal record;
- Have never been refused a visa to a country with which Malta has visa-free travel arrangements; and
- Not be considered
- a potential national security risk;
- to have a reputational risk; and/or
- is subject to criminal proceedings.
Our professional team of experts can support you at every step in acquiring your Malta residency or citizenship.
Malta Golden Visa Requirements and Eligibility
Requirements - The main applicant
- Must be 18 years of age or older;
- Must have a certification of good health from a reputable health care system;
- Must have an annual income of not less than €100,000 arising outside of Malta or have a global net worth in excess of €500,000; and
- Must commit to investing in qualifying securities; and
- Must commit to holding a qualifying property.
Eligibility Criteria for Malta Golden Visa (MRVP)
Through Malta Golden Visa, third-country nationals i.e. Non Maltese, EU, EEA OR Swiss Nationals can take up Malta residency by investment.
The Government of Malta aims to invite only people of the highest standards through MRVP. Therefore, everyone who intends on applying will be subject to due diligence scrutiny and are expected to have:
- A clean criminal record;
- Not be deemed a possible national security risk, have a reputational risk or is subject to criminal proceedings; and
- Be in possession of valid travel documents.
Our team of professionals can help you at every step of the way.
Malta Golden Passport (Malta Passport by Investment) Cost
The MIIP program has a defined fee structure. The entire amount is not required to be settled at once.
|Spouse and each child below the age of 18||€25,000|
Each dependent parent aged 55 or older and
each unmarried child aged between 18 and 26
Due Diligence Fees (Payable to authorities)
|Spouse, adult Children and Parents||€5,000|
|Children aged between 13 and 18||€3,000|
Passport Fees and Bank Charges
|Passport||€ 500 per person|
|Bank charges||€ 200 per application|
All large amounts are paid after the Letter of Approval in Principle is received.
This makes the Malta IIP a fair process with minimal investment risk.
Malta Golden Visa (Malta Residence and Visa Program) Cost
Contribution to the Government of Malta
- Applicants are required to contribute €30,000 (€5,500 of which are payable upon application) to the government of Malta upon the approval of the application. This covers themselves, their spouse/partner and any economically dependent children. Other adult dependants (e.g. parents and grandparents) each have to pay an additional €5,000 upon approval of the application.
Property Purchase or Rental (Qualifying Property)
- Applicants are required to make a commitment to buy a property in Malta for a minimum investment of €320,000 (€270,000 – Gozo / south of Malta) or rent a property with a minimum investment of €12,000 per year in Malta (€10,000 – Gozo / south of Malta) in both cases, for a minimum of five years.
- Upon approval of the application, the main applicants are required to invest €250,000 in approved instruments, typically government approved bonds, to be held for five years.
Learn more in detail about Payment and Fee timeline for the Malta Residence and Visa Programme here.
Our dedicated team of experts can help you at every step of the way for obtaining your Maltese citizenship or Residency.
- Republic island in the heart of the Mediterranean;
- Political and Economic stability;
- Excellent business opportunities;
- 2nd safest country worldwide (World Risk Report 2018);
- European Union's fastest-growing economy;
- Commonwealth member state;
- Member of the EU since 2004;
- Part of the Schengen Area since 2007;
- Euro as base currency;
- Top of the class health care services;
- One of the best educational systems; and
- Constantly voted as the most favourable climate in the world.
To know more about your relocation options,
Why Choose Nexia BT?
Nexia BT is a leading firm providing a wide range of services in the financial sector to corporate and private clients.
We pride ourselves in having worked closely with large international companies and high-net-worth individuals. This experience allows us to help our clients achieve their maximum financial results in business.
Nexia BT specialises in the development and maintenance of various business structures for corporate entities as well as private HNWI and UHNWI clients together with residence and immigration planning. Nexia BT is accredited by the government of Malta for various residency and citizenship programmes.
Through our highly qualified professionals within our legal, audit, tax and advisory departments, we offer a personalised, holistic solution for every client. The International Client Services unit includes Russian, Mandarin and French-speaking executives who are familiar with the characteristics and requirements of foreign markets.
Nexia BT - your reliable partner in Malta.
Tax and International Client Services