Applications For MRVP 2/3/4

Q1. In accordance with Article 6 (2) (c) - (f) the Applicant must provide an undertaking to purchase or lease a qualifying immovable property, to make the qualifying investment in Malta and to remit the total of the non-refundable contribution. Is the declaration on Form MRVP 1 sufficient or do you require a separate undertaking executed by the Applicant?

The declaration in Part C on the MRVP 1 Form suffices.

Q2. Article 6 (2) (f) refers to a certificate requested from a reputable health system to the satisfaction of MRVA. Does Part E of MRVP3 suffice or is a separate certificate required? Also would you need evidence of the licence/warrant to be provided in relation to the physician examining and certifying the medical report and questionnaire (Form MRVP3)?

Yes, it is covered by Part E of form MRVP3. It is recommendable that a copy of the licence or equivalent, is included with form MRVP3.

Q3. Please refer to the qualifications and general requirements mentioned in Article 7 (c) – (h) of S.L. 217.18, being some of the eligibility criteria for the Applicant and dependents. Please advise whether it would suffice if the Applicant and the dependents provide a declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths confirming what is listed in the mentioned sub-articles of Article 7 of the said legal notice or if anything else is required.

Part C in the form MRVP 1 and parts A or B, as applicable, in the form MRVP 4 suffices. No additional requirements are needed unless specified by the MRVA Unit.

Q4. A statement of Source of Funds and Wealth is one of the documents which will be required - would an administrative form have to be completed?

No more documents are required as this has been incorporated in form MRVP2. Hence the information requested in Form MRVP2 should suffice.

Q5. Which administrative forms would need to be completed for the Applicant and his/her dependents upon submission of application pack?

There are four forms that are required per individual:

The Main Applicant requires:
1. Form MRVP1 (Application form)
2. Form MRVP2 (Personal Details), and
3. Form MRVP3 (Medical Report and Questionnaire)
4. Form MRVP6 (Clearance form)

Each Dependent that is mentioned in the Form MRVP1 (Application form) requires:
1. Form MRVP4 (Dependent Declaration)
2. Form MRVP2 (Personal Details), and
3. Form MRVP3 (Medical Report and Questionnaire)
4. Form MRVP6 (Clearance form) for dependents over 12 years of age on the date of application.
Notwithstanding this, other documents may be introduced in the future, as the need arises. It is imperative that the latest version of these forms are downloaded from our website just before the application process commences.

Q6. Can you please confirm if there is a minimum amount of health insurance required for each MRVP Applicant and dependent?

The minimum coverage of health insurance is of €30,000 (thirty thousand Euros) per individual. It is important to submit the endorsement letter, or equivalent, clearly listing details of cover, including:
1. List of persons insured
2. Minimum cover per person per annum
3. Covers all EU countries
4. Validity of cover has to be of a minimum of 1 years, renewable
5. Not a travel Policy
6. Covers full hospitalization
7. No exclusions in cover

Q7. We are in contact with some people in China and they have informed us that notaries in mainland China do not notarise and apostille documents. Have you encountered this problem/issue? What is the applicable procedure that is acceptable to MRVP?

Yes, we have already encountered similar occurrences. Official documents/notarial certificates originating in China have to be legalised, meaning that such documents have to be certified by the foreign ministry of China and subsequently have to be certified by either the Maltese Embassy in Beijing or the Maltese Consulate in Shanghai. Several Applicants have already done this without encountering issues.

Q8. What happens if the Main Applicant cannot produce a birth, a marriage or a divorce certificate when applying for residency?

We shall accept application however during its processing they would still need to provide such certificates, or the family book, or equivalent, wherever this is produced. Each case will be dealt with on its own merits.

Q9. Which are the official documents and in which format should they be submitted?

Official documents are:
1. Birth Certificate
2. Marriage Certificate
3. Divorce Certificate
4. Passport
5. Police Conduct (Original only is accepted)
6. Military Records
7. Award of Custody
Original Official Documents need to be apostilled/legalised by the government authority of the issuing country.
A Certified True Copy of an apostilled/legalised original is acceptable. However, if certification is done abroad, an apostille/legalization of the certifier is required.
Translations of original or of certified true copies of these official documents need to be apostilled/legalised if done abroad.

Q10. In which language should a self-declaration be submitted?

A self-declaration, has to be signed and dated by the issuer and has to be submitted in original. Any self-declarations not in English must be translated to English.
Translations done abroad have to be apostilled/legalised. Translations done locally do not need to be apostilled/legalised but have to be carried out by a Malta registered translator.

Q11. Should parents or grandparents applying be above a certain age?

No, there are no age threshold.

Q12. We assume that evidence of Business ownership is applicable only to the extent that the Main Applicant has declared that he is self-employed. Kindly confirm.

In the case of business ownership, whether in part or in full, this is required whatever the declared employment status is.

Q13. Is evidence of employment required when the Main Applicant has declared that he is not self-employed?

Evidence of employment is required when the Main Applicant has declared that he is not self-employed.

Q14. What evidence would a Main Applicant who declares that he is both “self-employed” and “not self-employed”, need to submit?

In the case where the Main Applicant is both self-employed and not self-employed, he has to mark both options in Part C of form MRVP2 and has to produce evidence on both his/her employment and his/her self-employment.

Q15. How should Form MRVP 4 be completed?

In case of minors who are less than 12 years old on the date of application, the tick boxes in Part B and all of part C have to be completed. In the case of a minor dependent who is between 13 and 18 years Part B and Part C have to be completed. In the case of an adult dependent Part A is to be completed. Part C1 is to be filled in and signed by the Main Applicant or the Spouse, who is to select in which role he/she is submitting the form by selecting Main Applicant or Spouse in the appropriate Field. If he/she has sole custody, he/she has to denote this by ticking the box denoting sole custody. Part C2 is to be filled in by the other parent/legal guardian of the minor unless the other parent has sole custody. Again, this person (other parent/legal guardian) has to tick whether he/she is the Main Applicant, the Spouse or a Non-Applicant in relation to the minor whose details are written on the form.

Q16. Is it only Form MRVP1 which requires the signature of the Commissioner for Oaths?

Form MRVP1, which is to be submitted upon application stage, and Form MRVP5, which is to be submitted at Compliance Stage, are to be signed in front of a Commissioner for Oaths (or whoever is empowered to administer oaths in the respective jurisdiction), who has to stamp, sign and date the form. Moreover, both the Main Applicant and the Commissioner for Oaths have to initial each page.

Q17. On the Form MRVP3 (Medical Report and Questionnaire), if a specific hospital/doctor fills in and signs the form, do they still have to supplement a medical test report.

The form should suffice as long as it is accompanied by the patient’s identification document which is stamped, signed and dated by the examining physician.

Q18. Which hospitals are accepted by the Maltese authority? If international hospitals are accepted and the client has the examination record in English, is an apostille from the Maltese Embassy required?

National and international hospitals are accepted. There is no need for an apostille.

Q19. When there is no Maltese Embassy or Consulate in a certain country, or if the Main Applicant so desires, can a local lawyer/solicitor/notary be the witness for the signature on Form MRVP1 and any other affidavit? Also, can a local Court be the witness of the signature?

Whoever is empowered to administer oaths in the respective jurisdiction, and we have official confirmation that this is the case, can witness the signature on Form MRVP 1 and other affidavits. A commissioner for oaths could also be available in local Courts of Law. It is to be remarked that all signatures should bear the stamp of office and any other relevant details.

For any other questions that are not covered here, please contact us on Back to FAQs

We're here to help

Our team will help you deliver results whilst working to the highest professional standards. Nexia BT your reliable partner in Malta.

Get in touch