Living and Working in Malta

Q1. How will Beneficiary and dependents show that they have been away from Malta for the stipulated period?

This obligation is no longer required.

Q2. Can a foreigner ever apply for the acquisition of Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation?

Yes, a foreigner may submit an application for the acquisition of Maltese Citizenship by naturalization after continuously residing in Malta for a period of five years. He/she should have resided in Malta throughout the twelve months immediately before the date of application and four years out of the preceding six-year period. He has to be knowledgeable in spoken/written English & Maltese, of sound mind and of good conduct.
The Minister has the discretion, according to the Law, to grant or refuse the application. It does not, therefore, mean that if such person satisfies the said conditions he/she would be automatically granted citizenship by naturalization. The Minister’s decision is based on internal policies, whereby amongst other requirements, the number of years could also be a feature in the examination of the relative request.

Q3. Is a minimum presence required in Malta on the part of the Applicants? Are no days spent in Malta allowed?

There is no minimum presence required

Q4. May a Beneficiary under the programme be granted an automatic licence to be employed or to engage in business in Malta in view of the provisions of Article 11 of the Immigration Act?

S.L. 217.18 does not entitle the Beneficiary to any employment licences. Beneficiary still needs to apply for a work permit through normal procedures.

Q5. How can the Beneficiary and/or dependents apply for a work permit?

The Beneficiary and/or dependents can apply for a work permit by submitting an application for a ‘work permit’ through the normal channels. Kindly note that dependents are only eligible to work after the issuance of Residency Cards.

Q6. How can the Beneficiary and/or dependents apply to set up a business in Malta?

The Beneficiary or spouse can apply, through the competent authorities, to launch a business in Malta as long as they satisfy the prevailing legislation. A dependent can also take this route without losing his/her residency rights.

Q7. Taxation of working clients: I found information about “a flat tax rate of 15% on foreign source income remitted to Malta and 35% on Malta source income”. What does this mean please?

This Programme doesn’t carry any tax grants and/or incentives. The statutory tax applies and it is recommended to seek the advice of a tax consultant.

Q8. Would a minor dependent of an Applicant be entitled to free education whilst residing in Malta? If so, does this apply also to Secondary and Tertiary (i.e. University) education?

No, under the MRVP a minor is not entitled to free education. However, if the Main Applicant acquires a work permit, his/her children would be entitled to free primary and secondary education in state schools.

Q9. Can Applicants work in an EU country under the MRVP?

The MRVP does not grant the Beneficiary any employment rights in the Schengen Area. Therefore, he or she will need to apply for a work permit in the Schengen country according to the provisions of that particular country.

For any other questions that are not covered here, please contact us on Back to FAQs

We're here to help

Our team will help you deliver results whilst working to the highest professional standards. Nexia BT your reliable partner in Malta.

Get in touch