On the 29th of January 2018 the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) issued a Circular to the Industry on the Supplementary Conditions applicable to Collective Investment Schemes Investing in Virtual Currencies. The said rules provide a regulatory framework which strikes a balance between ensuring investor protection, preserving market integrity, whilst providing players in the funds industry with adequate guidance applicable to collective investment schemes which directly or indirectly invest in virtual currencies.
The salient features of the new rules include, inter alia:
- The need for officers and service providers of the scheme to have experience in the field of VCs and DLT;
- Submission of additional documents at application stage shall include an assessment undertaken by the governing body of the scheme which denotes that all service providers appointed and all officers appointed have the relevant experience and knowledge in VCs and DLT;
- An enhanced emphasis on the independent nature the investment committee must possess including the need for an expert on VCs and DLT;
- Portfolio managers must perform frequent quality assessments which must be recorded;
- The scheme must perform and record liquidity and stress tests periodically;
- An external valuer must be appointed to value and verify the scheme’s worth; and
- The prospectus must cater for risks and risk warnings which are specifically attributable to VCs.
A full version of the document can be downloaded by clicking below:
Collective investment Scheme
Why choose Nexia BT?
Established by Brian Tonna, managing partner, Nexia BT is a corporate and private client advisory, audit, accounting and tax firm. Our clients are local and international financial and other institutions, SMEs, high-net-worth-individuals, the public sector and high-end organisations.
As a reputable organisation of over 25 years standing and forming part of a worldwide network of independent business advisors, consultants, auditors and accounting firms present in over 115 countries, we are optimally positioned to offer global expertise.
Along these years, we have built client loyalty around a credible reputation for delivering results whilst working to the highest professional standards.
Nexia BT’s strength lies in the technically competent staff with experience across a varied range of industry sectors. We deliver solutions to our clients through a high calibre customised service reflected in the professional work approach and ethics of our staff and driven by our ethos ’Closer to you’. With the backing of this business approach, we confidently present you Nexia BT as your trustworthy, dependable and reliable partner in Malta.